10 March 2011

"Let This Mind Be In You Which Was Also In Christ Jesus"

This is just one of those nights where I have nothing much to do, and I feel inspired to write something. I’m always inspired to write, and it’s mainly caused by the things that go on in my life and the lives of those around me. But, I am always wanting to write something that will change somebody somewhere. Maybe put a little hope in their hopeless lives. Bring a little sunshine to them on an otherwise dismal day.

In reading Philippians today with my Aunt, I came across the passage in Chapter 2. Verses 5, 7, and 8 state: “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus...[who] made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bond-servant, and coming in the likeness of men and being found in appearance of a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.”

I have been dealing a lot lately, with trying to be Christ-like and deal with the issues in my own life that I know need work. Pride is a definite issue – and it seems to be the most currently pressing one. As I was exercising during my Tuesday morning run, I was really seeking God and asking Him to purge my heart from all pride; to take me through the fire if necessary.

I had to ask myself ‘Am I really willing to go through something like getting a mangled face in an accident and to live looking like that for the rest of my life in order to get rid of my pride?’ As I asked myself this, I took the consideration in very carefully. It wasn’t just some “oh, that’s never going to happen” kind of question. Rather, it’s one that is a possibility – however unlikely – and I needed to face it. The answer, by the way, happens to be yes.

Back to those verses. Part of striving to be Christ-like means to have the mind of Christ; which as Christians is something we already have, because of our commitment to Christ. But we have to strive to keep the mind of Christ.

Jesus gave up His reputation for everything. He was a servant to all. “He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death.”

Pride reaches so many areas in my life – and it ties right in there with selfishness. I want to be willing to lose a reputation that was non-existent in the first place with people that I meet and be unashamed to share the love of Christ with them. I want to reach a higher level in servant-hood and to rejoice every time I have the opportunity to be a servant. I want to be so humble that I would be willing to die for what I believe in without giving it a second guess.

I still have a long way to go. And God still has a lot to work on within me. By His grace though, I will stay flexible and willing to let Him complete His work in me. And through His faithfulness, it’ll be accomplished.


"Holy God, take my heart. Purge with flame and truth. A holy heart is all I want, that I may dwell with You."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm with you! Thanks for this insight - Philippians is one of my favorite books!